Tuesday, April 15, 2008

God Bless the IRS

God bless the IRS, in that ultra-polite Southern genteel way that masks the true intent, the exquisitely rapier-sharp opposite meaning...

I just stood in line for an hour at the only USPS in miles that's open past 6pm. The problem? The "Automated Postal Center" was too hard to use. Or maybe too slow. There were about 50 cops providing security and traffic control, 6 postal workers at the curb taking the envelopes that were already stamped, and nobody inside to help people figure out the computer-assisted scales and postage printer.

I ended up smacking a half-dozen stamps on the thick envelope and calling it good enough.

I'm not going to speculate on the average intelligence of the people in line, mainly because I was one of them. (as in, if I'm so smart, why was I there too?)

And I didn't take my knitting with me. How intelligent is that? So, not much fiber progress.

4 Comments:

At 12:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a full service, 24-hour post office up near LAX.

Just for future reference, don't you know.

I had to go once coincidentally on the date (Aug 15th?) that's the deadline for filing if you requested an extension. Imagine, the most procrastinating of the procrastinators. I think I was in line for an hour. Fortunately I had Icord to knit.

Debby

 
At 8:19 AM , Blogger Ruth S. said...

Yeah, well, City of Industry is a lot closer...

sigh. Why didn't I e-file? We did for CA and the Fed, but our CPA doesn't e-file for Kansas.

 
At 9:14 PM , Blogger Erin said...

That would be "bless their hearts..." I do believe.

"Why bless your heart" is the kiss of death response to any situation.

No gentile southern woman would say "God" (or god) and they are the ones who bestow the curse of this particularly tasty phrase.

I was in and out in 20 minutes using our automated gizmo but then I live in a small town now. There is the occasional perk.

 
At 9:30 PM , Blogger Ruth S. said...

Aww, you're probably right. The sentiment remains...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home