Monday, June 18, 2007

Knit on, through all crises...

Oh, my. Oh dear my. You know the kind of adventure you have on the seas, where when it's done, you are just thankful that the menfolk aren't the panicky types and nobody got wet?

Skipper Terry showed up about 9, as per arrangement. They did all the pre-launch checks, and Terry was pretty thorough because he's gonna let us go by ourselves pretty soon. (it's called bareboat, by the way.)

ST and Mike were going to practice docking and such, and I was going to go shopping. (I mentioned this last post). I went to Island Wools, and found that Cat Bordhi was a local. I couldn't help mentioning to the lady behind the counter that a lot of us knitters who've been around the circs a few times think it's pretty obnoxious to lay claim to techniques that have been around a LONG time, such as moebius knitting and socks on two circs type stuff. OK, to be fair, she doesn't come out and say "I invented this." The words she uses are "Reveals the magical technique."

Ahem.

I did buy a Noro booklet I like, and one of those necklaces you can hang your glasses from. And I got some jump rings and good luck tokens for the folks at work, at the bead shop Garuda and I. It's a neat shop, I recommend it highly! Lastly, I hit the grocery store, and headed back to the marina.

We dropped anchor near by to fix and eat lunch. The Princess Ruby's anchor winch doesn't work too well, and it was a two man job to haul out. ST smelled a bit of coolant, so there was another engine check... one fan belt was a bit loose, and the alternator wasn't putting out much charge unless the engine was revved. Hmmmm... noted into the ship's log!

So, over to Spieden Island to look for wildlife. We were up to 3 eagles and 5 seals, Terry was idling along and Mike and I were on the bow taking pictures... and the engine stops. Terry- did you stop the engine on purpose, or what... ? No, it just cut out. Hokayyy...

In we all go, and I just figure I'm with a rocket scientist and a cruise instructor, ain't nothing I can do but stay outa the way. I got my knitting, and the world could rotate around me.

I look up, and Terry's down looking at the gauges, and I see a puff of smoke curling around his head. Oh my. They open up the com (where the gauges are) and huge billows come out. Oh, not to worry, Terry says. It's not smoke, it's steam. hmm. I start packing my tote bag with everything I might need if we abandon ship. Starting with the knitting, of course. Medicine next, put on the jacket and go sit on the bow, because now the cabin's starting to fill with obnoxious antifreeze vapor. Take out the knitting, watchful but calm.

We're pretty close to shore, with no power, no steering. A dinghy, yes. But it doesn't start.

Until they find the fuel cut-off valve, and turn it on. By now, I've been appointed to document this all on the camcorder. Soon to be posted on YouTube, I'm sure.... or Film at 11.

I dig into the tote bag for the ziplocks... was going to use them in case I happened across some dyestuff. Now, they're gonna preserve the electronics from getting wet. Hey, instead of panic, plan ahead.

By now, Mike's got the boathook, and is watching out for rocks. The engine is completely shut down, not startable, but the steam's dissipated. We call the yacht charter for instructions, and decide to try to tow with dinghy before the flood tide hits. We need to cross Haro Straits to get to Roche Harbor, about 5 miles.

'cept the dinghy don't tow. Something about fluid dynamics, and the wind. By this time, we're down to Plan D. I retire to the bow and get out the knitting again.

They tie the dinghy to the side of the boat, a "hip maneuver"- and it works. At least, we're not drifting any closer to shore. Roche Harbor is sending a tow - which turns out to be a bigger, rubber dinghy with a bigger outboard. But it does the trick.

For the next hour, I'm on the bow, knitting (and I have pictures to prove it!), and the menfolk now number four and are swapping war stories to burn off adrenaline. I'm glad I'm just out of earshot.

I start thinking "Orca! orca! here, fishie, fishie..."

We limp into Roche Harbor just in time for dinner, about 6ish. Ah, it's a wonderful resort, and I announce that I deserve for the yacht charter to buy me dinner and a night in the resort. And bless his heart, my Roketman goes ahead and arranges it. I'm not sure whether the charter company is going to reimburse us for the total, but hey.

We're on dry land. You've all been informed, and I didn't cash in early on my inheritance by calling my mother from a disabled boat to tell her all about it.

I'm going to draw my bath now. The hotel clerk tells me that John Wayne stayed here, and took a bath in this very same tub.

3 Comments:

At 8:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great story. You can dine out on it fro months. Well written too.

Dianna from SK

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Hmmm... so does this still look like the life of retirement RM is hoping for?

 
At 4:02 PM , Blogger Ruth S. said...

LOL- when I called this a water Winnebago, I wasn't far off. It's a 30 yr old boat! So of course, *our* boat will be bigger, better in oh so many ways, yadda yadda yadda. Yeah, we're still gonna build the Portager for retirement.

Now it's gonna have twin screw engines (one instead of two).
R

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home