Friday, August 03, 2007

I am not my boobs.

Why, then, did it upset me so much that I might have another fibroadenoma to remove? I had even myself worked up into thinking I'd lose the breast.

(btw, kudos if you got the reference to India Arie's song "I am not my hair!")

But now, I get a call from the doctor saying I have a 6 cm cyst on one ovary. Huh. Not mm? Nope. I pull out the ruler - that's a good 2 inches. No pain, either. I grill him more on that jagged black spot on the mammogram- he's sure that's ok. But he wants the GYN to check out the ovarian cyst. And, just to be prudent, go in on Monday and have a CA-125 test, too, ok?

Huh.

Sigh. I'm playing medical whack-a-mole again. Cripes.

Still, I'm not upset over losing an ovary, or even having a total hysterectomy. The only reason that occurs to me is that it's on the inside, so nobody can tell. Not even me, looking in the mirror. Scars, no biggie. But losing a breast, that bothers me.

Ah, well, I have knitting to do. I'm not upset. A bit introspective (can you tell?) is all. Maybe it'll hit later. Be alert, sharp pointy sticks may still be needed.


I wish this was pointing to ME!
Originally uploaded by OriginalTwistedSpinster
I'll leave you with this picture, on the highway north of Vancouver. Don't you wish all artisans got their own road sign? hmmm. I like that!

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Fortunately they can remove them orthoscopically generally so it isn't major surgery.

As an added plus, most women I know with ovarian cysts, lose weight when they have them removed. You've said that losing weight is difficult and this might explain it.

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Ruth, keep us informed on this, please? Hysterectomy isn't too bad, as a friend's mother said, "I'm now a sports model instead of a family sedan!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home