Saturday, July 21, 2007

Keeping score...

Today's newspaper comic strip called "Baby Blues" showed the mom character saying "Motherhood is not a contest - but why do I always feel like somebody's keeping score?" With the usual bedlam in the background...

I feel like that a lot.

Here's a concept I want to write down for myself (under the idea of journal-keeping as if no one but me's gonna ever read this...)

I'm at the Reference Desk, and a book on Hold caught my eye. It's Never Eat Alone, and other secrets to success, one relationship at a time by Keith Ferrazzi, with Tahl Raz.

Ferrazzi defines the secret to success in any endeavor as being access, as in networking, also known as the old-boy's network. Only you work that by being generous first, and then not being afraid to ask for favors at some distant point in the future. I'm making all this sound a lot more self-serving than he does!

Some points-
Don't keep score. Let the other guy win, but don't be a doormat. (he refers to kharma...)

The Duke Wayne rugged individualist model doesn't work, especially in a corporate situation. I love this quote - "Contribute. It's like Miracle-Gro for networks."

Success comes from goal-setting.
Step One: Find your passion. Look inside, make a list of dreams and goals, no matter how preposterous. Then, in another column, write down things that bring you joy. Then, find how those things intersect. Look outside, ask people what they think your greatest strengths are.

Step Two: put goals to paper. Ferrazzi uses a Network Action Plan- develop the goals that will help you fulfill your mission, connect those goals to the people and things needed, then determine the best way to reach out for the right help.

OK, so I feel like I need to be a better conversationalist. Where do I find a book on that? hmm.

Postscript: I read the first couple of chapters, and realized that it sounded pretty shallow. This man has had more jobs than most people have friends!

He talked about Joseph Campbell, whose passion was Greek mythology. Campbell, before he became the world-renowned expert on myths, was so engrossed by mythology that he holed up in a mountain cabin and read from morning to night, for five years straight. This is where I started doubting... unless you're independently wealthy, how do you support yourself if all you're doing is reading?

3 Comments:

At 9:47 AM , Blogger Erin said...

So what ever happened to the pics of the new knitting bag???

 
At 9:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

ok...if you speak as you blog, it seems to me you already *are* a great conversationalist.

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Ruth S. said...

Oh, Marta, got you fooled!! I'm ever so much more articulate with a backspace key!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home