Sunday, July 13, 2008

Back to reality

If I had more energy, I'd write about the stages of coming back home after a wonderful vacation. I'd sprinkle in a few stages of grief, a few stages of denial, of comparing my real life with the fantasy of being someone who would actually deserve to stay in such wonderful hotels and be treated like a queen...

But when you come home to a house where the cleaning lady didn't come like she was supposed to, it's like the five cats threw a party and invited 892 of their furriest friends to shed all over. And I do mean all over. How the heck did we get fur flurries in our bedroom closet, when they were shut out of the bedroom?

We ended up buying the Transformer-mobile. I thought we paid a bit too much for a used wheelchair, but not when we checked online for the new price. Wowsers.

The trouble? It doesn't fit through the bathroom or bedroom door... Plan B (b as in bathroom? groan...) is the crutches.

I relied on the crutches a bit too much yesterday, what with the cleaning and thinking I could take care of the house, and overtaxed myself. I took a painkiller for the first time in a full week. (I was going through the mail and found the description of what they did during the operation, and it was incredibly sobering. I hurt a LOT more after reading that, and instantly resolved to take better care and not do that again.)

Tomorrow, we check the thrift stores for a "transport" wheelchair, that will get through doors. And a bunch of other stuff, like seeing how soon I can see my regular doctor, turning in the disability papers, etc.

I admit, I'm in a funk and may not get pictures mounted very soon. Do nag. This is the kind of mood where I need reassurance, that my strange version of normal is appreciated by my friends and colleagues.

4 Comments:

At 12:39 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely, share more pictures with us! Of course, sitting at your computer, posting photos, has got to be easier than cleaning house, right? And your loyal readers, we're all waiting with baited breath for each new photo. And who knows, maybe I'll get photos done this week too, just to show you how much fun it can be to get them done! (I just downloaded 23 days of photos from the past 2 months, over 700 MB of files! yoikes!)

--
Eilidh ** Cat ** http://www.journalscape.com/cayswann

 
At 5:48 AM , Blogger Janice in GA said...

Sympathies on being in a funk after coming home. Whenever I hit a bit that shows me how easily the body can be hurt or ill, I funk out too.

Best remedy: stay busy, think about other things. Watch good movies (I liked "Wall-E.") Think cheerful thoughts whenever you can.

And post pictures! My experience on the left coast is vanishingly small. I love to see pictures from there.

 
At 1:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruthie, I understand, for me returning home is usually bittersweet. So many things to love and so many to hate!

I'm glad you're back though & hope rocketman will bring you to knit night. I'll be at the kip at Whole Foods on Wednesday, so if I don't see you then, I hopefully I will the following week in DB.

Welcome home!

- Denise (L.)

 
At 5:31 PM , Blogger Ruth S. said...

Thanks, people, for the feedback! It's truly appreciated.

Denise, which Whole Foods has the KIP?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home