Saturday, July 05, 2008

The View from Dunsmuir Lodge

A change of scenery can do me a world of good. Today we got on the ferry from Anacortes to Sidney on Vancouver Island. I swear, I was positively giddy. We got the new rental car with no problem, headed out hours early -- I was even doing donuts with the wheelchair in the motel parking lot. I looked up to see a trucker type guy grinning at me. I told him, "It must be the pain medication, huh."

The ocean was awesomely calm for the ferry ride. I'm not sure what the real highlight was, the silliness of turning back because a couple cars didn't make it to the right ferry line, or seeing some porpoise (or were they dolphins? who knows??) fins. They didn't quite make it all the way out of the water.

Ah, the real highlight was the scenery. We're on the hotel wifi (the Roketman doesn't want to connect the Broadband cellular wireless from Canada, go figure) and it's a slightly wonky connection. I'll upload pictures later.


The View from Dunsmuir Lodge
Originally uploaded by OriginalTwistedSpinster
This is only part of the spectacular view from our restaurant and hotel, the Dunsmuir Lodge on the campus of the University of Victoria.


I chatted up a man at dinner who recognized my cotton spindle. He said his parents worked at a cotton mill in mid-nineteenth century England. I gave him my card and asked if I could do an oral history for the blog. Keep your fingers crossed! (and Jack, if you read this, I am serious!)

I'll end tonight's blather by calling on all Canadians to rise up and demand your own version of the Americans with Disabilities Act!! Our room is terrific, except for one important detail. The bathroom door is too narrow for the wheelchair. Fortunately, they gave us a loaner, but it's no match for the Transformer-Mobile.

1 Comments:

At 7:04 AM , Blogger Janice in GA said...

When I do spinning demos, I'll often get one or two folks who either worked in a cotton mill when they were younger or whose parents worked in the mills. (Before all the cotton processing went overseas, there were LOTS of cotton mills here in the south.)

Lately I've talked to a couple of guys who work with polypropylene fibers. It's fun to compare notes. -- e.g., naturally crimped wool fibers vs. man-made fibers with crimp added by big rollers. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home