Monday, March 10, 2008

Dodder


Dodder
Originally uploaded by OriginalTwistedSpinster
This is dodder, a parasite that grows in the rainy seasons. It's also called angel's hair, or witch's hair. The Latin name is either Cuscuta subinclusa or Cuscuta californica... I'm not an expert botanist, that's a Google guess.



Dodder
Originally uploaded by OriginalTwistedSpinster
And it gives a gorgeous and intense color!

It was a wonderful Dye Day.

The time change is a mixed blessing so far... I still feel like I have jet lag. My usual cure is 1000 micrograms of B12 (Trader Joe's sublingual) and a cup of English Breakfast tea. My favorite is the Dalfour organic. It gives me a lot of get-up-and-go for 4-5 hours. I'm getting over the second dose for today...




Oh. My. Lord.
Originally uploaded by OriginalTwistedSpinster
I'm going to have to take quite a bit of B12 in order to get all this spun, huh. (snicker)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:25 AM , Blogger Jill said...

I saw some of that dodder suff the other day on a hike in Topanga Canyon. Geez... if I had known you could dye with it I would have scooped it right up! That is quite a nice shade of yellow.

 
At 9:51 PM , Blogger Ruth S. said...

Jill, scoop it up before it gets too dry! Also, more is better with dodder. Last time I tried it, I didn't get much color because I didn't have enough in the dyepot.

 
At 10:23 PM , Blogger k baxter packwood said...

Is it lightfast? I love the color. Want to trade for a bag of the dodder?

prairiefibers@hotmail.com

 
At 10:51 PM , Blogger Ruth S. said...

Kim, they use dodder for rugs in Oaxaca, so I assume it's lightfast. As for whether I'll have enough to trade, or whether it dyes after drying, I don't know!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home