Sunday, April 29, 2007

I've been bad...

All I can say is, when the Roketman's away, I have a tendency to succumb to temptation.
OK, sometimes I even seek out temptation to succumb to!
Here's some of the latest -- a black fleece from Whitefish Bay! Oh, I was so bad -- I got two.


So today, I'm washing up Tempest, and maybe even Prudence. Lotsa black yarn in my future...

More later, the timer just went off. Time to pull the next two net bags out of the sink.


And... this is about 2 hours later...

I want to show you the magic. This is what my skeins look like before and after being blocked with hot water:





and another before, with the after and another before...















and here's the final after:


Here's a better explanation. See those really really overtwisted skeins? Those are before they get dunked in hot water, and snapped between my hands.
This picture shows my sample skeins. Far left is the skein I did by spinning from combed locks. You really can't tell where one skein ends and the next begins, but I hope you can see how the yarn in the middle is so much smoother. More on that below. The skein at right is spun from rolags, in a pretty much woolen method.
Now, that yarn in the middle. Yesterday, at the Greater Los Angeles Spinning Guild, I got Dave Larsen to show me how to diz roving off a drum carder. Such a cool technique! I promise to try to get pictures of this. I was totally blown away by how clean the drum carder was with this process. Because this is definitely how I'm going to process this fleece!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home