Sunday, May 04, 2008

Knit for Peace in Tibet

I don't think I have that big a voice (except that I do tend to talk loudly on the phone...) but I've finally come up with a good idea.

This Olympics, let's knit for peace in Tibet, instead of having a Knitting Olympics.

Anybody have a good skill in creating a button for this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the Yarn Harlot, the originator of the Knitting Olympics (I think- if I'm wrong, please do correct me!) Like I joked to a clerk in the bookstore, I've known her a long time -- since she was a mere yarn whore flirt. (won't make my mom flinch) I've known her posts on the Knitlist since before she was pregnant with her son, and when she nicknamed him the Squatter because he didn't want to be born. (later edit) Ok, apparently I'm confusing my knitlist history - the Squatter belonged to Jan T.

But I don't feel comfortable supporting the Olympics this time around. Even without the stories Joy tells about the refugees.

So this Olympics, let's knit for Peace in Tibet.

3 Comments:

At 4:01 AM , Blogger Kate Linnea Welsh said...

Hey there. Knitting for peace sounds like a good idea. :) Just FYI, the Yarn Harlot has said there won't be a Knitting Olympics this year anyway - knitting is a winter sport. The next will be in 2010. And I think you're thinking of someone else from the Knitlist... I remember the Squatter posts, but Yarn Harlot doesn't have a son so it couldn't have been her. I think the person with the Squatter is Janine.

 
At 7:34 AM , Blogger Ruth S. said...

Kat - you're not the only person who's corrected me on the Squatter! geesh. If I had a brain I'd take it out and forget where I put it.

 
At 8:09 AM , Blogger Cathy said...

I'm with you with the knitting/crocheting/spinning, wait, that's unwieldy. Okay - fibering for peace. Hope someone will come up with a good button. Just so you know, I've loved the recent series/photos.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home